Skip to main content

Grants for Graduate/ Professional School

  • File your FAFSA each year to be considered for Cal Grant for Education Students Program (EDS) which is based on financial need.

  • Submit any additional documents requested by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

  • Any other application requirements are listed below under each specific grant type.

  • The grant amounts listed below are estimates, and depend on available funding.

Grant Types and Details

Fellowships, scholarships, stipends, and fee awards

Annual amount:


Funded by:

Your graduate department or an outside source.

How to Apply

Contact your graduate department or the Graduate Division.

Cal Grant for Education Studies Program (EDS)


$12,570 maximum for Cal Grant A renewals;
$12570+ $1,648 maximum for Cal Grant B renewals

Funded by:

State of California (California Student Aid Commission)


Amounts are set by the State government and are subject to change at any time. You must be enrolled full-time (12 or more units) to receive the full grant award.

Who's Eligible

If you're a Cal Grant A or B recipient who plans to enroll in UC San Diego's EDS program, you may be eligible for a renewal of your Cal Grant for an additional year, if you meet the following requirements:

  • You accepted and enrolled in the EDS program within 15 months of the end of the term in which you received your last Cal Grant payment
  • You're seeking your initial teaching credential
  • You're not using the grant money for other graduate-level courses of study

How to Apply

  1. File your FAFSA and provide any requested documents before the deadlines.
  2. Submit a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits (form G-44) available from the California Student Aid Commission.

More Information

If you're enrolled in less than 12 units, you'll receive a reduced amount of the Cal Grant award:

  • 6-8 units = 1/2 the amount
  • 9-11 units = 3/4 the amount
  • 12+ units = the full amount