Skip to main content

Summer Session

Summer Session 2019

How to Apply for UC Summer Session Financial Aid

Find out how to apply for financial aid for summer sessions at UC San Diego or other UC campuses.

More Info

Summer Session Disbursement

Learn when and how UC San Diego applies Summer Session financial aid to your student account.

More Info

Enrolling in the appropriate summer session classes can help you progress faster toward your degree. If you're considering summer session enrollment, consult with your academic and/or departmental advisors regarding summer course selection.

Financial aid is available to current UC San Diego undergraduate students who have a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream application on file and are enrolled at least half time or six units. Also newly admitted students who will matriculate (attend) in fall may be eligible for financial aid. These newly admitted students who attend in the summer, taking courses recommended by their advisor, are referred to as ‘pre-matriculated’ students during summer session.

Summer financial aid differs from academic year financial aid. The summer term is a trailer to the academic year award cycle. Students applying for summer 2020 financial aid must submit a 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Application. Current UC San Diego students please see instructions and deadlines below. Pre-matriculated students must submit the 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Application by June 30, 2020. Summer financial aid is based upon remaining eligibility for various programs like Pell Grant and Federal loans, but also may include limited UC summer grants.

Pre-matriculated students (admitted to Fall 2020 Quarter) who enroll in a minimum of 6 units of summer session academic credit at UC San Diego should follow the directions for submitting a 2019-2020 FAFSA for US citizens or Eligible Permanent Residents. AB540 students who are not eligible to submit a FAFSA should submit a 2019-20 CA Dream Application. Use UC San Diego's school code of 001317 on the FAFSA or CA Dream Application. Confer with your advisor to select the appropriate summer session classes.

Please note that international students are not eligible for Federal or State aid, and are not eligible to submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Application.

Learn about the types of financial aid available to current UC San Diego students enrolled in summer sessions at UC San Diego or other UC campuses.

Facts About Summer Financial Aid for Current Undergraduates

  • No Financial Aid Summer application is required!
  • Students must have been enrolled during winter or spring quarter of the regular 2019-2020 school year or have been re-admitted for the fall quarter 2020.

  • Students must have submitted a 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application by June 30, 2020.

  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum 6 units for summer. This can be any combination of summer sessions at UC San Diego or at another UC.

  • Students must not complete their degree by the end of spring quarter 2020.

  • Enroll in summer classes at the earliest opportunity for possible priority funding (if eligible).

Estimate Your Summer Fees

To estimate your fees for courses at UC San Diego use the example below (all fees are subject to change)

Course fees = $279 per unit (undergraduate); $349 per unit (graduate)

Undergraduate example: $279 x 4 units = $1116.00 per 4-unit class

Additional campus-based fees listed below ($238.75 per session)

  • ICA Student Activity Fee (undergraduate only), $129.52 per session
  • Recreation Facility Fee, $58.50 per session
  • University Center Fee, $50.73 per session

Some courses may require material fees; all students enrolled in those courses pay the material fee. Refer to the Summer Session website for further information.

Types of Summer Aid Available for FAFSA Filers

  • Grants

    You may be eligible for summer Pell Grant if:

    • You have remaining Pell Grant eligibility and meet other enrollment requirements.

    You may be eligible for UC San Diego summer grants if:

    • You have a valid FAFSA or CA Dream application on file.

    • You meet other financial need/enrollment requirements.

  • Scholarships

    Be sure to apply for outside agency scholarships to help meet your Summer Session costs.

  • Loans

    If you've filed your FAFSA by March 2, wait until the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office notifies you of your eligibility for grants before you make a decision about borrowing.

    Consider looking into other types of financial aid before you apply for alternative or private loans!

    • If you haven't already borrowed your annual maximum student loans, you can use Federal Direct loan funds for summer. If you're a dependent student, your parents can apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan.

      • Consider planning ahead and reserve some of your direct loan eligibility for Summer, instead of borrowing up to the limit during the regular academic year.

      • If you advance a grade level during 2019-2020, you may be eligible to borrow additional loan amounts for Summer.

      • Review the maximum limits allowed for undergraduate direct loans.

    • If you're a dependent student, your parent(s) can apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan.

    • Alternative or private loans can pay the portion of your costs not covered by other financial aid.

      • Keep in mind that lenders and loan programs are subject to change.

      • Browse UC Private Lender Lists for alternative loan options.

Types of Summer Aid Available for California Dream Act Filers

For Summer Session info, contact the Summer Session Office, (858) 534-5258.

For enrollment info, contact the Registrar's Office, (858) 534-3150.