Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What are your office hours?

    For your safety, and the safety of others, we recommend you contact us in the following order of priority:

    1. Your best option for reaching us is via Virtual Counseling Monday through Friday 10am to 2pm via Zoom at UCSD.ZOOM.US/MY/FASZOOM1.
    2. You may email your questions to Most questions receive responses within 3 to 4 business days.
    3. Telephone hours are limited to Wednesday and Thursday 9am to 2pm. Staff availability over the phone is extremely limited and will result in long wait times.
    4. For Winter 2021, we are available for in-person appointments on a limited basis. Requests for appointments can be made on our online scheduler.
  • Where can I get my 1098-T form?

    These are generally emailed out to students at the end of January. However, if you can’t find your email, you can request the 1098-T form via their website

  • When do I get my financial aid money?

    Financial aid money is disbursed at the beginning of each quarter. If your financial aid file is complete, and you’re enrolled in units for the quarter, then you can expect your financial aid to pay by the first day of each quarter.

  • How do I know if additional documents are needed from me?

    You can view the items that are needed in the same place where you would see your award letter. From TritonLink, you can select Financial Tools and then select Financial Aid to get to your award letter. Review the Required Documents and Tasks area for details on forms or documents that are needed. If you find nothing is listed in this section, that means your file is complete.

    You can also refer to your UC San Diego email address. We send emails there when more information is needed from you. Please check your UC San Diego email often.

  • How do I set up direct deposit?

    Direct deposit can be set up via the Direct Deposit tool on TritonLink.

  • How do I qualify for Blue and Gold?

    The Blue and Gold plan is designed to cover your statewide tuition fees if you are a California resident, who has completed your FAFSA on time and your family’s income is less than $80,000. The Financial Aid Office will determine if you’re eligible for Blue and Gold after your initial award letter goes out. We usually will add this award to your financial aid package automatically. ** Note: if you are receiving Cal Grant, then you will not be eligible for the Blue and Gold award since your tuition is already being covered by Cal Grant.

  • How do I accept my financial aid?

    Log in to TritonLink and navigate to the financial aid page by selecting Financial Tools and then Financial Aid. There you will have access to your award letter for the school year. You will be given the option to accept or decline the awards that are offered to you. After you have reviewed your awards and approved/declined each award, make sure to click the orange button to complete the acceptance process.

  • How do I apply for financial aid? Am I eligible for financial aid?

    You can apply for financial aid every year by completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act application To be eligible for the best financial aid, you want to complete your application prior to March 2nd each year.

  • How do I use my work study?

    Work-study is a great way to earn some extra money while in school. If you are awarded work study, you must accept the award to be able to use it. You then will need to find a job via the Career Services website. Upon accepting a position, your work study funds will be issued to you via a paper check/direct deposit every two weeks. Work study students are generally allowed up to 20 hours of work per week, depending on the work study assignment.

  • What if my financial aid does not cover my fees?

    If your financial aid is not enough to cover your fees, then you can take advantage of our payment plan option. The Triton Registration Installment Plan (TRIP) allows you to break up your remaining balance into monthly payments each quarter.

  • I am going through a financial emergency, can I get help?

    Please stop by our office and speak to a counselor. We do have ways to assist you or put you in touch with the right resources to assist you.

  • Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

    Yes, you must complete a FAFSA or Dream Act Application each year. The applications become available in October and you want to make sure to complete it before March 2nd each year.

  • When is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

    The priority deadline date to apply for financial aid is March 2nd. However, if you didn’t apply by then, you can still complete the application at any time during the academic year.

  • What happens to the financial aid that is left over after my fees are paid?

    If all your fees are paid, and if a credit balance is created, then you can expect left over funds to be refunded back to the student. You have the choice of setting up direct deposit or receiving a paper check. Direct deposit refunds are received in about three to five business days, and paper check refunds usually take about a week or more to receive.

  • I am expecting to receive outside assistance (scholarships, fellowships, loans, etc.). How will these affect my financial aid?

    If you receive scholarships, keep in mind that the scholarship money has to be able to fit in your budget. We are only able to award you with what your Cost of Attendance budget allows. Your other financial awards may be replaced with scholarship money. We would first reduce any unmet need in your financial aid package. If you’re still over the budget, then we’d reduce your other awards in the following order: University loan, work-study, parent PLUS loan, student loans, grants. Any scholarship money that replaces a loan reduces your future loan debt.

  • If I don't work, do I have to give the work study money back?

    If you don’t work and you don’t earn your work study money, there are no penalties. This is not something you pay, instead it’s a way for you to earn money while going to school.

  • Where do I mail scholarship checks?

    Scholarship checks should be mailed to the following address:

    Student Financial Solutions
    9500 Gilman Drive Dept. 0026
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0026
    Attn: Scholarships

  • What type of aid is available for summer?

    Summer financial aid is available via the FAFSA. Pell grant, student loans, parent loans, private loans and UC San Diego grant funding are available for use in the summer.

  • Do I need to complete a loan promissory note for a federal loan every year?

    No, your Master Promissory Note for your federal loans is good for 10 years. You only need to do this document one time.

  • How do I apply for a federal parent loan?

    A parent will need to fill out the Parent PLUS loan request form. This form can be found under forms. The parent can request a loan amount up to the Parental Contribution amount that’s listed on the award letter.

  • How do I apply for a federal student loan?

    A FAFSA must be completed and on file with our school. Federal student loans are offered and can be accepted via the student’s award letter. A Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling will need to be completed for the loan to pay out.

  • How will my private loan be disbursed?

    Private loans are certified by our office and are set to disburse a third of the loan amount, at the beginning of each quarter.

  • Who can I talk to about VA (veteran) questions?

    You can reach out to our Veteran Coordinator, Lisa Linares in the Registrar’s Office at (858) 534-0077. She will be able to answer all your VA questions.

  • Why haven't the loans I accepted for fall quarter disbursed?

    If your loans haven’t paid out, it could be because your file is incomplete. Please check your award letter and see if there are any recommended tasks to complete. If all your tasks are complete, please check your enrollment. You must be enrolled in at least six units for your loans to start to pay.

  • If I am not enrolled full time, will my financial aid be affected?

    If you are not enrolled full time, and if you’re a Pell Grant or Cal Grant recipient, then your financial aid will pay less, based on the number of units that you’re enrolled in. If you have at least six units, then you can expect your student loans to pay.

  • If I do not accept my loan now, can I accept it at a later date?

    Yes, you have the option to decline your loan now and then accept it later. You can accept your student loans up until just before the end of the school year.

  • I have applied for a parent loan; how will I know when it has been processed?

    Parents will be notified via email by the Department of Education to let you know if the loan was approved or not approved. Once you receive the decision email, then you can expect the parent loan to start to pay. The Parent must complete a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note before any money will be disbursed.

  • If my parent loan is denied, what other financial aid options do I have?

    In the event the Parent PLUS loan is denied, you can email our office and let us know. Most dependent students will be eligible for additional unsubsidized loan money after the parent’s been denied. You will need to email our office to let us know of the denial and to request the additional unsubsidized loan money.

  • What happens if I withdraw from school before the term is over?

    A withdrawal calculation will be performed to determine how much financial aid you’re eligible to keep. The calculation is based on the last date of attendance. The funds that you’re not eligible to keep will be sent back to the Department of Education. In some cases, this may create a bill for the student.